Social Researcher in the areas of information and communication technologies for development (ICT4D), sustainable development, community and social informatics, virtual communities and social media.
- Senior Research Fellow, SALISES
- Associate Dean, Research, Faculty of Social Sciences
- Senior Editor, Electronic Journal for Information Systems in Developing Countries, Wiley
- Associate Editor, Information Technology for Development Routledge / Commonwealth Secretariat
- Vice Chair, Association for Information Systems Special Interest Group on ICTs and Global Development (AIS SIG GlobDev)
- Secretary, International Federation for Information Processing Working Group 9.4 on the Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries (IFIP WG 9.4)
- Member, National 2021 Census Technical Committee
- ICTs for Development
- Citizen social science Research methodologies
- Selected Publications
- Virtual communities ICTs in agriculture
- ICTs in education ICTs in health
- ICT4SDGs (ICTs for the Sustainable Development Goals)
Recent Projects / Ongoing Research
- Collaboration with University of Edinburgh, UK team on “Caricrop: exploring the potential of new technologies to support local and inter-regional agricultural trade in the Caribbean”
- Collaboration with Delft University of Technology, Netherlands team on “Towards an inclusive bioeconomy – capitals of farming communities"
- Public Internet Access and Community Access Points in the Caribbean and its Diasporas
SALISES Team Projects:
- GOJ/UNDP First National Sustainable Development Goals Report for Jamaica – 2018; Co-Principal Investigator
- International Organization for Migration/GOJ Feasibility Study for a Proposed Global Jamaican Diaspora Card
- World Bank study on Energy Access for the Urban Poor in Jamaica
Edited Journal Special Issues
- Bailey, A., & Osei-Bryson, K. M. (2018). Contextual reflections on innovations in an interconnected world: theoretical lenses and practical considerations in ICT4DPart 1. Information Technology for Development, 24, 3,423-428.
- Hayes, N. and Bailey, A. (Eds.) (2014). IFIP 9.4 Special Issue - Into the future: themes, insights, and agendas for information and communication technologies for development. Information Technologies & International Development, 10(2), iii-v.
- Bailey, A. (2016) Creating Comparative Cases Supported by YouTube Videos: Engaging Students in Survey Design, Journal of Education and Development in the Caribbean, Special Issue on Enhancing University Teaching and Learning in the Caribbean Context, 15, 2, 71 – 88.
- Bailey, A. and Ngwenyama, O. (2016) Community Bridging through ICTs: Seeking to Overcome Digital and Community Divides, The Journal of Community Informatics, 12, 1, 69 –89.
- 2019 - The Principal’s Research Award for The Project with the Greatest Business/ Economic/ Development Impact, Faculty of Social Sciences, UWI Mona - GOJ/UNDP First National Sustainable Development Goals Report for Jamaica – SALISES
- 2019 - The Principal’s Research Award for The Research Project Attracting the Most Research Funds, Faculty of Social Sciences, UWI Mona - International Organization for Migration/GOJ Feasibility Study for a Proposed Global Jamaican Diaspora Card – Tindigarukayo, J., Bailey, A. and Henry-Lee, A.
- 2018 – SALISES Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2017 – SALISES Top Researcher Award and SALISES Excellence in Teaching Award
A montage of community access points involved in research initiatives
Member of Jamaica’s delegation to the United Nations High-Level Political Forum (UN HLPF) 2018
Member, UWI Research Days Steering Committee
Dr. Arlene Bailey served as Conference Organizing Co-Chair for the IFIP WG 9.4 2013 Conference on the Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries